Friday, December 14, 2012

Migas


Hi everyone! How are you all doing? I'm all smiles because my graduate semester is over :) To celebrate that and the fact that the hubby & I are about to go on our first anniversary cruise, I'm going to teach yall how to make Migas. I first had this when I started working at the university library when I was a freshman in college. There was a women I worked with that used to make it all the time and I loved it! A couple of weeks ago, one of my friends from high school suggested this as a blog post and I thought it was a FANTASTIC idea! :) Thanks to Hilda for introducing me to this and thanks to Rashell for suggesting it now!

For those of you who don't know what Migas are, it's a Spanish breakfast dish that is super easy to make. Now, admittedly, this is the Tex-Mex version of Migas, but hey, it's still good!

The best part about this recipe is that it only takes about 10-15 minutes total to make, not to mention it's nice to sometimes have something different in the morning! This recipe is for a fairly big serving so if you are by yourself just use less ingredients.

Also, you will notice that I just put "vegetables" as an ingredient. Migas are kind of like an omelet, meaning that you can put whatever vegetables or meat that you want into it. When I make this, I use whatever I have in the fridge! This dish would be great with some bell peppers mixed in, don't you think so?!

Ingredients:
8 corn tortillas
10 eggs
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
Vegetables (I used onions and tomatoes because that's what I had in the fridge)
Salt & Pepper to taste

To start off, heat your vegetable oil in a large skillet on medium heat for about 3-5 minutes. During this time, cut your corn tortillas into bite sized pieces. This doesn't have to be exact at all! Here is a picture of mine:

 
Once your oil is nice and hot, throw your corn tortilla pieces in and toss to coat. Leave your corn tortillas cooking for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The goal here is to make the corn tortillas kind of crispy. While my tortillas were cooking, I cut up the vegetables I was using and threw them in the skillet as I went. Make sure you put the vegetables in order of how fast they cook. Since I was using onions and tomatoes, I cut up the onions and threw them in and then cut up the tomatoes and threw them in. By this time, my tortillas were done. Here are some pictures:
 
 

While your tortillas and veggies are cooking for the last minute or so, crack your eggs in a separate bowl and beat them with a fork. Once your tortillas are somewhat crispy, pour your eggs directly into the skillet and scramble them. This is the time to salt and pepper everything. Here are a couple pictures through the cooking process:




Once your eggs are scrambled you are done!! I served mine with a side of Picante sauce and a side of Chile sauce, it was AWESOME! I also served some crescent rolls with it. To make it even more authentic, serve your Migas with some refried beans. Here are some pictures of the finished product!



Happy Cooking
& Enjoy!!!

Leave your comments below!

0 comments:

Post a Comment