Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Pasta Sauce


Hey Everyone! Recently the official taste tester went to the doctor and was told we need to get healthier and eat more fiber (kinda hard when his wife has a blog that's mostly dedicated to food!). SO, I am making an effort to make my food healthier. Don't worry, for all of you out there that don't want to follow the healthy diet, I will still include the regular version :)

The official taste tester loves pasta...how do you make pasta healthy? That is a tough one. Well, the first step is making your own pasta sauce. This is something I have been doing for awhile, but recently I started looking into the health benefits. Making your own spaghetti/pasta sauce has about the same calories as the pasta sauce you can buy in the store BUT the sodium is reduced by about 230 mg or 10% or your daily sodium allowance. We all could use a little less sodium in our lives, not to mention a low sodium diet is recommended to prevent and treat cardiovascular disease.

There is no regular version for this, this is my every day pasta sauce. Now this is a "change" I can get used to! :)

Also, I put quite a few spices in my pasta sauce. If you don't have all of them, don't worry about it! You can add as many or as few of these spices as you want. The only ones I would definitely not skimp on would be the garlic powder, salt, & pepper.

Ingredients:
28 oz. can Crushed Tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp. Oregano
1/2 tsp. Cilantro
1/2 tsp. Basal
1/2 tsp. Parsley
1/2 tsp. Salt (or to taste)
1/4 tsp. Onion Powder (or 1/4 cup diced onions)
1/4 tsp. Dill Weed
1/4 tsp. Thyme
1/4 tsp. Rubbed Sage
1/4 tsp. Black Pepper (or to taste)

Place your crushed tomatoes in a medium pan on medium-low heat. Next, add in all your spices and stir together. Stir occasionally until heated.

That's it! You are done! This can be tossed with your favorite pasta for a simple meal, or included in a more extravagant dish that calls for pasta sauce.



Happy Cooking
& Enjoy!!
 
 
**DISCLAIMER: I am in no way qualified to give advice on health problems. For medical advice, consult your family physician.

0 comments:

Post a Comment