Thursday, January 24, 2013

Chocolate Banana Smoothie


Good Thursday Morning! Today I want to show you a little breakfast drink that I discovered on Pinterest the other day. Since I saw the drink, the official taste tester & I have been having it for breakfast every morning!

Four things:
1. I normally don't eat breakfast. I would rather sleep and/or cuddle with my dogs for longer than eat breakfast. Yes, this makes the last 1-2 hours before lunch time fairly brutal, but I usually manage. This recipe changes all that. I still want to stay in bed, but considering it takes about 1 minute to make, I can have both.
2. I LOVE SWEETS. Seriously, I'm addicted. SO, anything that is sweet-ish in the morning, I'm totally in.
3. The official taste tester & I have been growing horizontally since our wedding. It's unfortunate, but true. This recipe is healthy which is great for our endeavor to start shrinking our waist lines!
4. I don't like smoothies. It's not really the taste... it's just that I would rather have a chicken sandwich than a drink that has the same amount of calories and won't fill you up.... seriously, the smoothies at Smoothie King are like 600-700 calories. Good thing about this recipe is, it DOES fill you up and it's not bad on calories. :)

Have I convinced you to try it yet?! I sure hope so! The total calories of this smoothie is 335. Not bad for a well-balanced meal! Yes, it is well-balanced... it has fruit (bananas are a great source of antioxidants and potassium), calcium, protein, and vitamins!

Ingredients:
-1 Banana
-1 Tbsp. Peanut Butter
-1 cup Ice (we have regular ice trays and I ended up using 12 ice cubes)
-1 cup chocolate milk (I use 1%)**

To make your smoothie, simply add all your ingredients in a blender and mix them all together until your ice is chopped. The smoothie makes about 20 oz. which is awesome (could probably even be enough for two)! I have been taking them to work with me and drinking it while I check my emails. It's a great start to my day, and keeps me full until lunch!




**The official taste tester wanted me to alter his smoothie slightly. He has started using this:
The smoothie tastes about the same, but it does increase the calories by about 100 (comes out to 415). The benefit of this is you get A TON more protein, calcium, and vitamins. Considering I'm not trying to be a body builder, I don't really need the extra protein or calories so I opted to not use this. If you do use this, use a cup of regular milk instead of chocolate milk. Also, you could omit the peanut butter to save the extra calories, but this also reduces your protein.
 
Happy Smoothie Making
& Enjoy!
 
P.s. Follow us on Facebook here!

2 comments:

  1. Processed, non-food drink? Gross! Use almond or coconut milk with Hershey's chocolate syrup (vegan).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can absolutely make any substitutions you would like! Thanks for reading!

      Delete