Tuesday, August 21, 2012

AMAZING Burgers

Just like the title says, these burgers are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! As yall know, I like to cook quite a few different things, so when the official taste tester asks to have something as simple as a hamburger 2 days in a row, there has to be something special about them.

Something to note. We are ground turkey users in the Walker house. We pretty much never buy beef for any reason because turkey is healthier and lighter (don't believe me? TRY IT!). I used turkey to make these burgers but ground beef could be used just as easily.

This recipe was adapted from here. She also has a special sauce that she puts on her burgers that I would definitely recommend. I will add it(with 1 small revision at the bottom of this post).

Ingredients:
1 lb ground turkey (or beef) - 85/15 (this ratio is important!)
1/4 cup grated or shredded cheese (this can be any kind so use your favorite!)
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
1/2 tsp. season salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. minced onion.
Optional (as needed): breadcrumbs

The ratio of the meat(how lean it is) is important because the extra fat content in the meat will help hold your burger together. If you use a really lean meat, you burger will crumble into pieces when you try to cook it because of all the extra ingredients.

Combine all your ingredients into a bowl and mix together well. The best way I find to do this is to mix everything together with your hands. If you meat mixture is too "wet" to mold into patties, you can add some bread crumbs in to thicken it up a bit. This can't really hurt your burgers so when in doubt, add some in.

Mold your burgers into patties that are about an inch thick (these burgers are going to be big!) My mixture made 4 burgers (If you need more, just double or triple the recipe). Here is a picture of my quarter pounders before cooking:


They look pretty fantastic huh?  I would not recommend cooking these on a grill as it may contribute to your burgers falling apart. I have a stove-top griddle that I always use, but a regular pan would work just as well. Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray and then place your patties on the pan. Cook for about 4-6 minutes on medium heat on each side. It's important to let the first side you cook get nice and brown so your burger will be set. If you flip your burgers to soon, they might crumble apart (see a pattern here?!).

The ability to crumble so easily is due to the burgers being so moist, trust me, this is a good thing!

Here is a picture of the finished product:


I promise, you will not be disappointed with these babies. As you can see, I added a little guacamole, tomatoes, and onions to mine. This made them even better! The special sauce is on there too, you just can't see it.

Here is a recipe for the special sauce. This is almost exactly the same as the original recipe with the exception of the addition of one ingredient for a little zing! This is supposedly like the sauce from In-and-Out burger, but I have never been there so I wouldn't know. Either way, it's good!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Mayo or Miracle whip
1/4 cup Horseradish
1/4 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Relish
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp. Season Salt

Combine all ingredients until mixed well. You can adjust the amounts if needed to your tasting preference.

1 comments: