Friday, August 31, 2012

Breakfast Quesadilla


Breakfast Quesadillas are something my mom always used to make for us before school in the morning. I carried on the tradition and make these for the official taste tester and myself in the mornings before work and school. They are easy to make and don't take up a lot of time. This recipe is for 1 quesadilla, which we usually split, but you can double or triple the recipe easily.

Ingredients:
2 tortillas (I usually use the small ones, but you can use whatever size you want)
3-4 eggs (depending on your tortilla size)
3 strips of turkey bacon
1 slice of cheese
1/8 cup shredded cheese

Tip: This recipe can be customized however you want! I used turkey bacon because it's the official taste tester's favorite BUT you can use regular bacon or even 1/4 lb of sausage (or both if you are a meat lover). You can also add some veggies into your quesadilla if you chose. I bet some onions, tomatoes, and bell peppers would make this recipe even better! Basically, just use whatever you have in your kitchen.

To start off, cut up your bacon and cook in a pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray over medium heat. I usually just get a pair of scissors (a pair I keep in the kitchen and use only for food) and cut all the bacon strips up at once right into the pan, its so much easier and quicker! Cook the bacon for about 2-3 minutes (if you use regular bacon, you need to cook it longer... Basically, cook it until its done enough that you would feel comfortable eating it). Here is a picture of my bacon prior to cooking (see how easy it is to cut with scissors?):



While your bacon is cooking, crack your eggs into a bowl and beat them with a fork or a whisk until the yellow and white is combined fairly evenly. Once your bacon is done, add your eggs to the pan and scramble them. I also usually add in a little bit of butter for some extra flavor before I put in my eggs but that it completely optional. Here is what your eggs should look like when finished:
 

Once your eggs are done, take them out of the pan and set aside. For this next part, I usually use my stove-top griddle but you can use a regular pan if you don't have one (I do use my stove top griddle ALL THE TIME though so I would definitely recommend purchasing one). Spray your griddle (or pan) with non-stick cooking spray or give it a fine coat of butter. Then lay your tortillas down and brown them over medium heat. Once the first side is browned, flip them over and assemble your quesadilla while the other side is browning. To start the assembly, take your slice of cheese and put it in small pieces onto one of your tortillas. My cheese is usually in about 6-7 pieces when I do this. Next, spoon your cheese and bacon mixture onto the tortilla and spread it out evenly. Finally, top your egg mixture with your shredded cheese and remaining tortilla. Here is a picture of mine fully assembled:

 
I didn't take any pictures of the assembly process because it goes to quickly to stop and snap a picture. I usually cut my quesadilla up with a pizza cutter into fourths. Here are some pictures of the final product:
 
 
 
 
This tastes great by itself or with some picante sauce.
 
Enjoy &
Happy cooking!
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment