Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fried Rice

Today we are going to go for something that I was originally scared to make. I LOVE fried rice but I have never made it before, mostly because I don't have a Wok. There is a Thai Chinese restaurant in my home town that I love and always makes me wish I knew how to make fried rice, so I decided to face my fears. Surprisingly, this recipe was A LOT easier than I thought it would be and the rice turned out well. The best part is, it only dirties 1 pan so there aren't many dishes! Feel free to add in your favorite meat if you would like! This recipe is adapted from here.

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp. Sesame oil
1 small onion, diced
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 cup frozen vegetables, thawed (can be any type you want, I used vegetable medley)
3 eggs
3 cups cooked white rice (cook the day before and leave it in the fridge over night for best results)
1/4 cup soy sauce

Tip: You can buy little glass jars of pre-minced garlic at the grocery store. It's not fresh like real garlic but it's a lot more convenient. They even give you a conversion of how much miced garlic is equal to 1 clove.

To start off, pur your sesame oil into a large pan (as wok-like as possible) or wok. Add in your onions and sautee on medium-high heat for 1-2 mintues. Add in your garlic and vegetables and sautee until tender. At this point, your onions should be slightly translucent (see picture below).

Next, push your vegetable mixture over to the side of the pan, and crack your eggs into the remaining space. Scramble the eggs (some veggies may get caught in the eggs, thats ok) and then mix together with the veggies. Here is what this process looks like:

 

Once you have everything mixed together, add in your rice.


Next, pour your soy sauce over your rice and stir fry until heated through. Here is what your final product should look like:

 

 
MMMMMM, looks yummy (it was!). This was enough rice to have dinner and left overs a couple times. It was nice to have a hot lunch to look forward to at work!

Happy Cooking
& Enjoy!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment